The Adrenal Function Profile – Adrenal Stress Profile Test
The accurate evaluation of the circadian rhythm of the adrenal function. The main stresshormones produced by the adrenal glands, cortisol and dehydroepiandrosterone(DHEA), are analyzed. The test helps to identify the underlying causes for many ChronicDiseases and Clinical Disorders, which are caused by imbalances in the production of theadrenal hormones.
The adrenal glands, when in balance, produce sufficient amounts of hormones to feed usduring the day. These hormones affect almost every process in the body. From the production of energy and the immunological activity, to cellular maintenance. They are key regulators of glucose, insulin and inflammation and play an important role in the bones and the muscles, in the mood and the endurance.
The adrenal glands that are out of balance can lead to:
High Cortisol, which cause:
- Osteopenia and Osteoporosis
- Muscular function
- Sleep Disorders
- Premature Aging
Low levels of cortisol, which cause:
- Sleep Disorders
- Mood swings and depression
- Fatigue, reduced energy and difficulty in walking
- Inability to concentrate
- Chronic Allergies
- Multiple chemical sensitivities
- Dysfunction of the Immune System
- Disorder of thyroid gland function
- Inability to control body weight
Imbalances in the production of adrenal hormones and their circadian rhythms can eventually lead to:
- Metabolic syndrome
- Resistance to Insulin
- Difficulty in losing weight
The adrenal gland function is tested by collecting four saliva samples during a day. It is used as an accurate and reliable method of measuring cortisol, as it is simple and non-invasive and patients can collect these samples several times a day.
In comparison to the classic blood tests for the control of adrenal hormones the evaluation of hormones with a saliva sample offers several advantages.
- The levels of hormones that are measured in saliva are non-protein bound (free) and therefore are the real bioavailable.
- The levels of bioavailable hormones in saliva are related to those which are circulating in the blood.
- The collection of saliva samples is easy, is being done at home and does not cause extra stress (blood sampling is very stressful for many people).
- In addition to controlling hormone levels, it reveals possible pathological patterns in the release of cortisol within 24 hours (circadian rhythm), which can be treated with
individualized therapeutic interventions.